If passed by Washington voters, the Defense of Marriage Initiative would:
* add the phrase, “who are capable of having children with one another” to the legal definition of marriage;
* require that couples married in Washington file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage automatically annulled;
* require that couples married out of state file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage classed as “unrecognized;”
* establish a process for filing proof of procreation; and
* make it a criminal act for people in an unrecognized marriage to receive marriage benefits.
Just so. If it's ridiculous to allow people to marry because they're gay -- even though they could adopt -- it's ridiculous to allow people to marry because they're straight but don't plan to have or care for children. Which is to say, not ridiculous at all. Here's hoping this one never passes, because it's become a moot point!