2.10.2007

Chocolate Review

Valor Dark Chocolate (Ghana, Panama, Ecuador) 70%

Again, this is just a little too dark at 70%.

Valor is a good, solid chocolate, but I can't say it has much to single itself out. This probably explains why, when I saw it at the store, it was more or less buried under the "flavored" varieties. Not too much smell to it -- while on the one hand, I wonder if that has to do with the fact that at 70% cocoa, there aren't as many oils to hold the sent, on the other hand, I remember the bar of 87% Schaffen Barger I got that smelled heavenly. The break of the chocolate was more of a click than a wooden shap -- less tough? Anyway, three stars for this one, too; there's nothing about it that would lift it above "not bad." I'm going to have to stop getting 70% for a while, I think.