2.25.2005

Captain 11.

"Wave one hand. Wave both hands. Wave both hands and one foot. Wave both hands and both feet!"

Dave Dedrick, Captain 11, was the first voice heard on television in South Dakota, in 1953. He worked as a news announcer, weatherman, and host of a children's show, "Captain 11!"

You can't hear the echoes in my head, so you'll have to imagine them.

The show would start with the following mantra: "One man in each century is given the power to control time. The man chosen to receive this power is carefully selected. He must be kind. He must be fair. He must be brave. You have fulfilled these requirements; and, we of the Outer Galaxies designate to you the wisdom of Solomon and the strength of Atlas. YOU are CAPTAIN 11!"

4 o'clock would find me, my brother, and at least a pint of Schwann's ice cream in front of the TV every weekday. Captain 11 ran from 1955 to 1996. And no, Dave Dedrick isn't dead, as far as I know. I was just thinking.

For more information...