8.09.2006

Meme of the day: The Flip Test

Doyce says, "Tag! You're it!"

Here are the rules of this game:

  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 123
  3. Find the fifth sentence
  4. Post the text of the next 3 sentences on your blog along with these instructions

Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest, then tag three people.

I play this game at bookstores all the time. If I can pick a random point in the book and get hooked within a few paragraphs, I'll usually buy the book.

I haven't read this yet, but I kept it out of the moving boxes so I could.
Sir Apropos of Nothing, Book Two: The Woad to Wuin, by Peter David.

"I longed for a warm bath, and to cease feeling dirty and grimy. As I chewed on a tasteless piece of hardtack, a rat came scuttling up, its nasty eyes glittering in the darkness. When the repulsive litte things had first encountered us in the caverns, I'd been nauseated and appalled by them."

From the looks of it, the character goes on to explain that so many terrible things have happened since then that rats don't bother him anymore, and proceeds to crush and eat the rat. Not nearly as amusing as the first chapter (which I have read), but sustaining that level of humor would be both excessively obscene and fatal for people with weak hearts.