7.18.2008

How weird is that?

My brain is changing; I'm not sure why. I haven't had any head trauma or anything.

I've always been a very visual person. If I'm trying to indicate that I understand something, I say, "I see what you mean" (vs. "I hear you"). When I have typos, it's because I hit the wrong key, or I type something that "looks" right but isn't, quite. Like typing "grey" for "gray" because I read so much British fiction. (Is it "suspicion" or "suspicioun"? That kind of thing.)

But lately, I've been more aurally-oriented. Not too much, compared to people who are that way all the time, but it's weird. Sometimes, my typos come from typing words I know perfectly well wrong, because I'll type them phonetically. And today I was trying to remember a server name to help someone set up their e-mail at work. I said, "XXXX-mil," then had to stop and think about it. Why would someone name a mail client -mil? I ended up having to correct myself to -mail.

It's like discovering that sometimes, for two-second bursts, your handedness has switched.

Granted, the alien in AB is aurally-oriented, but I've been working on this thing, on and off, since mid-2006, and the weirdness has only started in the last few weeks.